These are excerpt from my life experiences.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Gorakhpur Memories and retirement in year 1998 and return to retirement life.

While recollecting I remember that we had a trip to Nepal border and we hired the taxi van .We visited the bordering towns of Nepal.A t this time Anu had also with us and we enjoyed the pleasure of company of Ashi .It was a rainy day and the driver was driving the taxi very fast and it was night and the driver was not a reliable one and it was feared that he might involve us in some road accident .We purchased some items and and shoes etc.while crossing the border there was checking and the police officer said jokingly that we had purchased only shoes and most of Indians smuggle some costly items .to this we did not need as the goods were cheaper in India and that there was no need to purchase from Nepal.More over I being a class 1 officer used to follow the rules and law of our country.The driver also told that he remained with some dreaded dacoit who was killed near Delhi in police encounter.
In a second incident I along with my wife was strolling in evening around The Gol GHAR Bazar and it was about 8 pm .At the same time one J E met us there .He told me that we should avoid the to stroll in the evening in that bazaar. I inquired what was the reason.He told me that some times there was gang war of the two groups of gangsters and there might be firing and that any stray bullet might hit us during cross firing.From that onward we avoided to go to the market in the evening .
There was a temple of Gorakh Nath .It was worth seeing and we paid visits to that temple.The religious books of Gita Press Gorakhpur are world famous.Near Gorakhpur there are towns which are worth seeing. The great poet Sant Kabir was born at Sant Kabir Nagar .This town was previously known as Khalila Bad .There is a Kushi Nagar which is a sacred place for Buddhists.
I retired on 30 / 11 / 1998 and after getting g the pension I booked my luggage and reached Roorkee on 9/12/1998and after attending marriage of my sister's son at Dehradun we proceeded to Delhi. On reaching Delhi we were busy in settling the house and for some times I could not believe that I was retired. Continuing as the life is continuing...........at Saket .......in our own house..........

5 comments:

rajesh said...

Sir
I would like to tell you as I am a Resident Of Gorakhpur, the story of gangwar in gorakhpur is true but it has taken place before .. exact time is difficult to tell but it was in eighties perhaps.

If you please ..would share where were you posted ..I mean was it Air Force , Military ,Railway or some State Gov work.

JG Sethi said...

Dear Rajesh
Iwas posted at Garakpur in 1998 and was in service of state Govt.you can send your memories if you deem fit

yours

J G SETHI

rajesh said...

Hi Sir

Hope u r fine..


many times work pressure dictates my web surfing and then comes mood ..too much of work with being away from family and home ...i get lost ...but i had your reponse in archives ..

passing through them i recal your postings.. and today I had time too on my side to say hi to you..

I love my place too much just like any other ordinary person working away from home longs to meet his near and dear ones..

i love gorakhpur but the forces which govern me ..have put me away from home.

i will make a full circle ..i mean ..i will make it back to my native place ..but when.. is question which is difficult to answer.

coming to subject...the place is adorned with some of the priceless mannerisms ..the way people respect th elders ..the weight that has been put in meeting and greeting relatives on festive times. yes...its considered unspoken offence not meeting elders and seeking his blessing on Dussehra or Holi. Same goes for Rakhi Festival ..married sisters wait for brothers at their in-laws place to tie rakhi to them and brothers hve 2 keep the promise ..and reaches her place with gifts and things like that ..

..then we have navratri ,...in all houses u can find someone or sometimes everybody observing fast on first and the eighth day of navratri..


presently , the state has got sufficient coal reserves for power genaration ..though hydro power potential too was enough earlier to take care of power needs but with formation of uttaranchal most of the hillside went away from UP and ...therefor its mainly thermal power based we can boast of..but ironically ..UP gov purchases only meagre 30% of what it produces in state .norm wise it has to purchase from NTPC ..

Presently we have got 70% less against our demand ..baseline is we are not a cash rich state ..

...dont get bored it just to giv a glimpse of present state of affairs..power cut goes upto 9 hrs a day .all written above was reason to tell this 2 u ..


I h've more to say ...

till next time

Its me-
Rajesh

JG Sethi said...

Dear Rajesh
I have read your comments and really you have written about the culture and the wormth they show on the festivals and they are truly dedicated towards their religion
Your comments are quite affirmative and I shall await your comments
Thanks
Yours
JG Sethi

rajesh said...

Sir
Its 2009 so my good wishes for the same to you.
Hope you too are some were in the northern states at the moment and so going through winters ..

I missed the winter this time and being in Chennai my family members say its better ur thre as its quite cold here.

On forteenth its sankranti in AP and PONGAL n Tamil Nadu . surpringly its one of the well celebrated festivals here in AP,Kerala and TN. In that order.

Taking the present global fiscal problems , the hub-dub is a bit sub dued but still the villages lead when it comes to revelling and enjoyig in the festivals ... its countrywide phenomenon...i ope u will agree

the bright colored attires of people thronging in Chennai from suburbs for melas ..dott the city like icing of a cake

it looks good

Regards
Rajesh Singh