These are excerpt from my life experiences.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Roorkee University in year 1959 onwards

In year I was in the First year of civil Engineering and started living in the C block which was meant for Diploma holders.This was make shift arrangement as other hostels were being constructed.We had a ragging session .it was horrible as seniors use to disturb us in the name of introduction .It was presumed that after ragging the seniors become good friends.But as I remember this was not the case.I remember those who had ragged us never came forward for help the juniors.This was a bad thing in those days as is now.During in year 1959 when the First year students were staying in C Block of university I remember the seniors made us stand in the park near by and all the seniors with their mouths covered and uttering fake names just like corporal commander Sargent's, ordered us undress ourselves .What a shame to the reputed University? We were shocked and frightened and started to became naked.It was dead at night about 2 to 3 in winter season.All of sudden a n African student took the courage and he took out a long Knife and challenged the seniors.His name was EDWARD MUSAZZI .We the first yea students courage and started attacking the seniors.Seeing the unity of first year students the seniors ran away and some them got injuries.But on this bold step the ragging could not been done.Seniors complained to VC that juniors had misbehaved which was turned down by the administration .It was then decided that all the juniors would give introduction in the hall and seniors could get the introduction of the juniors.Every junior was called on the stage would tell his/her name from he /she was coming and from which institution doe 10 plus 2 and what were their hobbies. When a junior came to stage in front of VC and all the staff the whole seniors used to laugh and some might pass comments.I remember when I walked to the stage as I was on the stage a voice came to my ear look down My laces not tied and the laughter .Again look up see your pants button were open and again a laughter.Any way this was a good and cool method of ragging.Roorkee university was known as Thompson college of Engineering I have great respect for my university.Dr Khosla was VC and renowned engineer and later on became the Governor.

1 comment:

Sethi's Blog said...

College years - this is the phase I might be able to relate more. Yup ragging was and indeed is a horrible thing. I think there are ways to combat it and it still prevails only due to apathy of the college administration.

The incident of you going up to the stage to introduce yourself was new to me. I dont think I heard that one before.
Keep going - I am tuned in.