These are excerpt from my life experiences.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

After Partition-in year 1948 to 1954 hardships at KABRASTAN CHAMELIAN AND BARA HINDU RAO MANAKPURA

While going back to 1948 memories I remember that our family shifted to refugee market of Lajpat Rai Market near Lal KILA (RED FORT) as usual our family made cartons day night and used to go to the common toilet of the market.I still remember the sweet shop of Vij restaurant where the PURIES were of great taste.Near the market there was Electric tram station in Chandani chawk.Later on we shifted the work of card board boxes to Gali Telian near Pahari Dheeraj and Kasab Pura and I used to come to the factory by tram which had been running from RED FORT to Bara Hindu Rao Here we took one shop on rent to make the card boxes as the material like paper and card board were cheaply available there.We even used to buy the old clothes from Kutab Khana near Sadar.These conditions were due to poverty and we as were told by our fore fathers that we were the richest persons prior to Partition of 1947.Here we were helped by our oldest family friend Late Sh Lurinda Mal Sethi and Sh Sant Ram and Sh Sohan Lal.We were helped by some Muslim workers in making boxes.Now I have last the trail of those persons who helped us at hour of need we are grateful to them I cannot forget those days of partition and our stay at Agra where I worked under some Muslim trainer who used to beat me with a stick if I was late in pasting corners on the boxes (CHIPKIES) More so my trainer was not impartial as he was not so angry with other worker under him because he was Muslim by caste's used to give me only Chavani (FOUR ANNAS) for whole days work.While returning I used to purchase Kulfi or milk from Gali Seth near KINARI BAZAR AGRA.I am still satisfied that ours is a nation of great people who are great in culture who can lead India nay the whole world The whole families which shifted from West Pakistan saved their honour and never begged for alms and by hard work these Punjabi's have captured the business about 70 % in Delhi.Our business partner in Kohat sardar Bhayaji was a great source of inspiration who used to live in Pul BANGUSH near Azad Market.He was also very successful in the business along with his sons and I am proud in mentioning that one of his son is minister in Delhi State ministry. My respectful sharandjali to Sardar Bhayia ji.Here I remember with great respect Sardar Bhaiyaji Late Sh Hara Singh ji and Late Bhag Masi ji who used to visit our family as Pul Bangash was very near to Bara Hindu Rao was nearby.Our family was very friendly with Bhaag Masiji and our Tayiji (Sister of Bhaag masiji)whom we used to respect the most .Sardar bhayaji "s son Sh Prahlad Singh Sahni is my old childhood friend but it is since long we have met each other.I feel proud that he had won election as MLA and is holding the post of minister in the present ministry of Delhi state and recently I have come to know that he has received the ticket from congress for MLA seat from Chandni Chawk for the next election in year 2008 in Delhi. I wish him all the success. Now again after returning from USA, i sat down to recollect the old memories from school days to college days. I filled the forms for admission in engineering. I appeared in IIT and Roorkee exams I was selected in Roorkee and got the rank 13Th in admission test in IIT i got selected for Naval architecture. I also went to Jabalpur for getting admission in engineering collage there my elder brother also accompanied me for engineering admission as we had got no domicile of MP we were refused the admission. During interview the com mite asked some peculiar questions like were we belonged to and what were our Father's business or service we had in relation in Jabalpur but no property for domicile purpose was in our name as we were returning from Jabalpur to Delhi I purchased a newspaper
in the train and i was very happy to find my name in the result of Roorkeeuniversity in year 1959 but to my dismay my brother couldn't get admission in engineering and as such he was compelled to complete his B.Sc, but it all depends on the fate. I was preparing to join the Roorkee university so i was very much perplexed because I had never been studied outside Delhi, so our bauji went with me to Roorkee we stayed in some guest house till formalities of admission were over, as I heard that there was ragging going on in collage so I along with my father stayed in the house of Sethi Sardarjee who had a house near the Roorkee university in civil lines they were having a shop of clothes named Sethi cloth house in near Roorkee canal my bauji also introduced me to the manager of mess Mr Diwan and alerted him that he should take special care Mr Diwan and Mr Sethi happened to belonged to the same area before partition ie NWFP now in Pakistan after my father left Roorkee I was shifted to C block hostel my room partner was Ashok Malhotra and his father Mr NN Malhotra had written English guide and he was principal of S N Das Gupta college in Delhi Pusa Road.Raging was a very bad thing for which we were afraid of I still remember that on one night at round about at 2 pm mid night senior students thrashed our doors and they were uttering fake names just like corporal commander sargent and they ordered all the junior students to come out from their rooms and follow up in straight lines downstairs in the park and shamelessly they ordered us to undress ourselves and they ordered us to quick march naked to the Roorkee Canal.The seniors were afew and the Juniors were about 3 to 4 hundreds .All of sudden an African student Edward Muzazi took out the Knife and all the Juniors got courage and they caught hold of seniors and in the confusion and in chaos some seniors got injuried and they ran away and all the juniors put on their clothes and came back to their respective rooms too much frightened .Next day as we went to mess we found so many seniors with bandage on their arms and some injury marks etc.Naturally they were in anguish moods.Matter was reported to V C and it was decided that all the juniors would give introduction in the auditorium and each junior would tell his name , hobbies and home addres and college where they had studied etc.All the faculty and Vc and dean of students were present.As a fresher stood up the whole auditorium started laughnig .As I stood up and uttered my name a laughter was there and some seniors uttered please button up my pant and lace up my shoes as I looked down to find if it was so a great laughter again I was so much confused any way this type of introduction was quite cool.In Roorkee strict dress code and table manners were observed.Coat without tie was not permitted.During Dinner or lunch we were told how to use spoon and forks.and during eating these were to put as crossed and after finshing these were to be put as parallel.During dinner there was sound soft music just like Tune of picture COME SEPTEMBER an other English Music. As a matter of fact they tried us to learn decipline as the britishers used to have . We were shown one picture every month not regularly in open air theater .Once some Punjabi singers like Surinder Kaur came and she sang the song as under
DUD PEE LA BALMA MAIN KDAON DI KHARI .........DUD PEE LA .......BALMA
Next life in Azad Bhawan Roorkee

No comments: